Tuesday, April 8, 2008

This is one of the few sculptures found in Raffles Place.


I guess the boat symbolises the earlier lifestyles of our forefathers who came from other parts of the world and survival in the small boat to come to Singapore to earn a living.
The above sculptures depicted the way of life during the early Singapore in Raffles Places where antique cars and horses drawn carts were the mode of transport.

Singapore has progressed and advanced to be a modern, branded and wealthy country. That is what the title of the sculpture is about.

9 comments:

Dave said...

Sculptures telling others of a proud past gone by... What a great way to preserve one's history! :-)

Anonymous said...

Those are very nice photos of great urban art pieces.
Liked them.

Tom said...

This is a fantastic sulpture.. I will try to get the time to read up more on this.
Nice pictures
Tom

Oman said...

Horses drawn carts were also prevalent before in my country. We call them "calesa".

Awesome structures, specially the miniature ones.

Anonymous said...

Nice work on the photos! I almost wanted to capture this sculpture the last time when I was in Singapore. However, my camera batteries went dead that day. :(

Alexander
Alex's World! - http://www.kakinan.com/alex

Lara said...

so interesting! and thanks for the info!

by Danie said...

I love these sculptures, they are very interesting, and teach us a lot about the past in "Malaya". They show the way and the hard work that has been done toward a modern and wealthy country.

J.C. said...

Informative & interesting story, Alice.

Merle Sneed said...

Alice, thank you for you comments on my blog. I think Singapore is a wonderful place and has much to teach the world.